Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 08:05:14 EDT
Pat says,

> IBCLC it was because my local
> hospital was scared to death of a local IBCLC coming in, who was not RN
> also.  So I think hospital hiring practices may depend on how open to
> change, how devoted to same old, same old they are :-)
>
> An experienced IBCLC is every bit as good as figuring out breastfeeding
> problems and BETTER than many RN, IBCLCs, without a great deal of
> experience.  A hospital would be wise to ignore the "magic initials" and be
> open to reading and considering the applicants resume!

IMNSHO, I really think the reason many (most??) hospitals are bound &
determined to hire RN type IBCLCs is because they want to be able to cross
train and pull them to other units (L&D, mother-baby) and work as nurses when
the need arises.  And while they may not SAY they are going to do that,
believe me, most of them are figuring they'll get more bang for their buck
that way.  They can advertise a lactation program, but if the blood pressures
need to be taken or the meds given, they have someone who can do it.

Purely pragmatic -- and because they don't really believe in a lactation
program.

That's not the only reason, of course, but I do believe in many instances it
plays a big part.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- who really DOES need to get off the 'puter and
get to the hospital!