From:
Seema Karki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:31:24 -0700
I don;t remember which book, but in my fuzzy memory..I had read that mixing formula with breast milk decreases the lysozyme activity of the breast milk,please correct me if I am wrong.
Seema

"Judith L. Gutowski" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello Diane and Lactnetters,
I was reviewing Riordan yesterday in preparation for the LC exam. It
says, "Mixing mother's milk with formula is acceptable. It is particularly
important for premature infants, who lack digestive enzymes, and mixing
fresh human milk with formula improves fat absorption." It's on page 125 in
the Implications for Practice regarding the biological specificity of
breastmilk. I have always told mothers it was ok to mix their milk with
formula and now I know why.
With this new information, I am going to call a mom today who I
have been working with. She is relactating for a 4 month old due to severe
reflux and gastrointestinal problems in her baby. She is currently producing
4 oz/day after 1 month of pumping and domperidone. She gives it all in one
bottle. I am going to suggest that she split it into 4 feeds mixed with the
neocate. I hope it helps this very uncomfortable baby.
Judy Gutowski, BA, IBCLC, RLC