From:
Patricia Gima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:19:15 -0600
At 07:03 AM 3/30/04, you wrote:
>Rescue Remedy is calming, natural and does not have the "half-life" of other
>substances. It's my drug of choice ;-)

Mary Kay suggested Rescue Remedy and so do I. "Some mothers find" that
Rescue Remedy (4 drops) in everything that they drink throughout the day
brings them calm, less anxiety, and they can move into sleep more easily.
"Some LCs find" that it is helpful too. It is in health food stores and
costs about $12 for a small bottle that will last for a long time. My
clients who choose to use it find it very helpful in that post partum
transition period.

I have had cases similar to the one described and have recommended medical
evaluations but have had clients who were able to avoid drugs with the use
of Rescue Remedy.  It is not sleep inducing but just generally calming.
There is no dramatic effect; one just gets to the end of the day and
realizes that everything was manageable and they are able to relax to sleep.

I also ask about caffeine use, including chocolate.  So many women use
caffeinated sodas like water and have no idea that it can affect their
nervous system.

Rescue Remedy is a very safe product with no side effects except calm. It
does contain some alcohol as it is a tincture, but 4 drops in a large glass
of water or juice is not a concern for anyone except a recovering
alcoholic--and I have encountered this in my practice. It is available with
glycerine as a preservative but must be ordered personally.

I am also suggesting omega-3 supplements for mood problems in the post
partum period.  Solid research done by researchers at NIH have shown that
quality fish oil capsules can aid in reducing depression. After reading
some of this material I saw a connection between the low consumption of
fatty fish during pregnancy and lactation and the increasing incidence of
post-partum depression. My clients have shown good outcomes with fish oil
caps. One even thought that it increased her milk supply, which I doubt,
but perhaps she felt more at ease and slept better so that her milk supply
could rebound.

With all of the research on the omega-3's I'm sure that if it were a
pharmaceutical drug it would be prescribed readily.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]