From:
"Duret, Anne" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:40:02 -0800
Thanks to those who responded.  And for those who didn't know what the Australian hold is, that's when mom lies on her back and baby lies prone on her chest to nurse.  Please let me know if there is a more generally accepted term for this position.

Just spoke with mom to see how things have gone over the weekend.  She feels that now she has insufficient supply on both sides, based on the fact that she is getting less amounts when she pumps, and baby doesn't seem satisfied after a feed.  Soreness on the L nipple is improving but still unbearable if baby nurses for more than 10 minutes at a time on that side.  She has started More Mother's Milk tea and fenugreek.

I advised her to increase the frequency of feeds rather than pumps, starting with the R(inverted, accessory) side, L side in the middle of the feed for no more than 10 minutes, and then finishing off on the R side again.  Mom is getting discouraged as baby is frustrated on the R.  She was contemplating formula last night...

Any other thoughts of encouragement for this dyad?  And yes, Jean I will try to get a photo when I see her next.  Unfortunately, the only photo I have to use is a Polaroid so I won't be able to post it anywhere.

Anne Duret, RN

This message is intended solely for the use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable state and federal laws. If you are not the addressee, or are not authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, distribute, or disclose to anyone this message or the information contained herein. If you have received this message in error, immediately advise the sender by reply email and destroy this message.