From:
Amanda Skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 19:39:53 -0500
Hello, my name is Amanda Skinner and I am a junior nursing student at
the University of North Dakota. I am currently taking a childbearing class
and through it I have developed an interest in different topics in
breastfeeding.  I am a huge advocate for breastfeeding because it has many
benefits for baby, but I am wondering if breastfeeding can possibly prevent
a baby from developing diabetes if they have a predisposition for the
disease.
   According to Rodekamp et al. (2005), offspring of diabetic mothers are
at an increased risk of being overweight and having an impaired glucose
tolerance.  In their study, they concluded that breastfeeding a baby in the
late neonatal period showed no significant influence on whether the baby
would become overweight or develop diabetes.
   Another study that was conducted weaned babies, with an increased risk
of developing type 1 diabetes, to hydrolyzed formula.  The researchers
wanted to study the effects of the intervention on the emergence of
diabetes-associated antibodies in early childhood.  Their observations
excluded the possibility that a delayed exposure to cow’s milk proteins,
those that are found in formula, would increase the risk of autoantibody
development.  In conclusion, they showed no evidence that breast milk
prevents a child from getting type 1 diabetes.  In addition, they showed no
evidence that formula fed babies will develop type 1 diabetes just because
they were not breast fed (Akerblom et al, 2005).
   Another study conducted by Sadauskaite-kuehne, Ludvigsson, Padaiga,
Jasinskiene & Samuelsson (2004), found conflicting results.  In this study
they described that early weaning and an early introduction of cow’s milk
or a breast milk substitute has been shown to increase the risk of type 1
diabetes of the baby later in life.  With their research they discovered
that the longer the baby is breastfed the more the baby is protected
against type 1 diabetes.
   Does breastfeeding protect a baby from getting diabetes if he or she has
a predisposition for the disease?  If yes, then does a mother have to
breastfeed for a longer length of time in order for her baby to get that
protection?

Thank you,
     Amanda Skinner, SN