Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 2005 11:18:58 EDT

Nikki  writes:

<<The mother
started out gallantly, willing to listen to his story, but it  became  too
much
for her. The baby never got to that point of the release   "breaking" (like a
fever breaks) and I didn't see the point of   continuing..............>>

Nikki, this story just  breaks my heart.  I just can't imagine what is going
on with this baby that  he is responding in such a way....

What did you do after the  15 minutes?  And now that it has been a couple of
days since you first  posted, what is happening now?  I want to hear the end
of the story, and  I'm hoping against hope that it is a happy one....

Both you and Teresa have  posted so eloquently on these emotional releases of
babies that I think it is  terribly important for us to heed what you are
saying and pay attention to the  babies in our care -- are we allowing for this
emotional release -- or, for that  matter, how many of us even recognize it for
what it is -- spending our time  trying to get the baby on the breast or
"shutting" the baby up.  Nikki,  have you written anything formal on this?  A
handout for parents  maybe?  Something along the lines of my "Second Night"
handout?

I wonder if there isn't  more to this than just a terrible and hard birth --
I think of Thomas Varney's  book, "The Secret Life of the Unborn Child" and
wonder how much of what goes on  with the mother prenatally is felt by the baby
and then perhaps expressed after  birth.....

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL

_Lactation Education  Consultants_
(http://www.lactationeducationconsultants.com/)
_My Mother of the Bride  Blog_ (http://www.motherofbridebyjan.blogspot.com/)