From:
Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:38:38 -0500
I think the reason we are having trouble agreeing on what to call those
working toward certification is that we:

1-are a unique profession with no exact parallel.  We have some aspects
similar to nursing, some similar to social work, some similar to PT, OT and
ST, etc. and some truly our own.  Therefore, no current form of identifying
those working toward the profession will suffice.

2- have no specific educational pathway to the profession (although, I do
believe that this is gradually developing and perhaps when we are another 20
years old, this will be at least more common if not actually established).

3-come from a wide variety of backgrounds, some with credentials in other
professions, some with no previous credentials.

We all agree (or it appears so to me) that the initials IBCLC should not be
used in any way by anyone not already certified.  Most of us agree that
other initials granted by individual educational programs (including, but
not limited to CLE, CLC etc.) only serve to confuse the issue.  There are
times however, and I think specifically of those who may need to put
information in a chart about their contact with nursing moms/babies, that
some sort of identification is appropriate.  I doubt that "person working
toward having the required experience to take the certifying exam" would
quite work as a signature!  When I wrote my previous post on the subject I
didn't mention that when I worked at the hospital, we did nave a few
individuals who spent time with us in an internship (one in conjunction with
a formal educational program, two by people working toward getting the
experience hours and one an IBCLC in private practice just wanting to
observe and get a feel for what a HBLC did).  Those that actually saw
patients and did charting used the initials LI to mean Lactation Intern.

Winnie