From:
Pam Easterday <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:16:31 -0400
When instructing mothers, I try to use simple and positive explanations when
I can.  To put a positive spin on frequency days, "A day of frequent nursing
means baby is growing.  You'll have more milk tomorrow."  This covers a
3-day-old and a three-weeker.
After learning that frequent nursing was supposed to prevent and cure
engorgement, I was baffled by a friend that I knew to be nursing constantly
and was still painfully engorged.  Then I was told that pitocin increased
engorgement.  This friend had a full day of pitocin as her labor.   Ohhhh!
I agree with Kathy D that in natural circumstances frequent nursing are all
that may be needed to deal with bursting bras.  We just don't get to see
only natural births and babies cuddled next to an undrugged mother.   Just
as in birth, one intervention brings on another.  Pam Easterday LLLL