From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2012 07:16:02 -0400
I think the Dancer hand position came about when Sarah (?) Danner and Dr
Ceruti found it useful to support the breast for premies. It wasn't for
everyone, just special circumstances :-)    "football" hold is one I'm not
crazy about,  It just doesn't sound comfy, cozy.  I'm sure moms wouldn't
have nursed thru eons of time if it wasn't comfortable.  Using set terms and
positioning is part of the "scientification" of breastfeeding.  Goes along
with pre & post weights to measure amounts and scheduling.  Dr Smilie said
breastfeeding is a dance between mother and baby and that so doesn't fit in
with science :-)  Pat in SNJ  plowing thru the files on breastfeeding
"management".  Don't you just love that the medical profession has to
"manage" breastfeeding, LOL.