From:
Ginger Carney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:58:48 -0600
As a pediatric dietitian AND lactation consultant, I disagree that we =
should discourage or restrict cow's milk from children's diets.  Soy, =
rice, and other vegetable "milks" are not readily available to many =
children in this country because of either local groceries not carrying =
it, or cost.  It is not approved by WIC for purchase with vouchers at this =
point.  Many of those milks are lower in calcium and vitamins if not =
fortified.  Consumers are not educated on what to look for to assure that =
the product is a good substitute for cow's milk and other dairy products.  =
I have seen many children with calcium and Vitamin D deficiencies and even =
rickets who do not drink enough (or any) milk, or cheese, yogurt, or ice =
cream.  The American Dietetic Association includes dairy products in the =
food guide pyramid for a reason, and although I STRONGLY support breastfeed=
ing for AT LEAST the first year, and as long as both mom & baby want to =
nurse, I will continue to encourage consumption of dairy products to =
augment calcium & vitamin intake after age one.  Dairy products just =
happen to be the most readily available, easily consumable foods for =
meeting nutriitonal needs during childhood and throughout the life cycle.

Ginger Carney, RD, LDN, IBCLC
Clinical Nutriiton Mgr./Lactation Consultant
Le Bonheur Children's Medical Center
Memphis, TN =20