Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:14:45 EDT
Winnie says,
<<Of course, the breast pain and pinched nipples post feed  do
indicate that latch could be better and improving that could
increase weight gain.>>

Definitely, Winnie.  I agree.  However two other things we need to look at
that I've not seen mentioned lately:  what is the configuration of the baby's
palate?  Is it low and flat?  Is there ROOM for the nipple in there?  What is
the stretchability of the breast tissue?  Is the baby able to latch on far
enough back and is the breast tissue stretchable enough to get back to the juncture
between the hard & the soft palate?  I think sometimes despite all we do r/t
positioning, we may be fighting one or both anatomical problems.  Tincture of
time may help, and in a very few cases like this, a nipple shield (gasp!!) may
help also.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, RLC
Wheaton, Illinois
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com