From:
Susan Gehrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 13:20:57 -0500
With 3 babies I experienced a numbness of the areola and some of the breast with each.  Found it by accident, so it was not bothersome.  Sensation returned when I stopped breastfeeding.  I thought it was odd at the time but figured it was a normal response.  I have heard of other mothers having this happen in my practice too.

Susan Gehrman RN, IBCLC, CCE
Battle Creek Health System
300 North Ave.
Battle Creek, Michigan 49016

"The world may not honor your honorable intentions, but you should have them anyway"  Mother Theresa

This message may contain confidential information protected by law through attorney-client privilege or professional peer review/quality evaluation privilege.  It is intended only for the individual or entity named above.  It is prohibited for anyone else to disclose, copy, distribute or use the contents of this message.  If you received this message in error, please notify the BCHS Privacy/Integrity Office at [log in to unmask] or (269) 966-8347.

>>> Terri Klein <[log in to unmask]> 02/14/2008 11:29 AM >>>
I am glad to be a part of LACTNET again. I have permission to post. Client
describes numbness in the inside wall of breasts not between in the sternal
area but along the inner ridge. baby nurses well, has sensation in nipples but
describes a neuopathy type feeling. she can stroke the breasts and notes she
knows she is doing so but has no feeling. Just would like to see if those of you
with alot of experience if you have come accross with this and what to make
of it. I would like her to be careful with temperature if placing warm
compresses or cold so she doesn't injure herself.
Terri Klein RN CLE CLC