From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 22:54:02 -0500
I've been following this discussion and there's been some mixing of situations, so I'm hoping someone will clarify so we're all on the same page. When discussing manual expression of colostrum antenatally, I'm assuming we're discussing the woman with an uncomplicated, otherwise healthy, single-infant pregnancy -- meaning she has no risk factors for preterm labor/birth. We all know there is no contraindication to continuing to breastfeed under those same circumstances, so it stands to reason that there'd be no contraindication to expression of some colostrum.

However, someone mentioned expressing when preterm (including late or near term) birth was a risk factor, which would include ALL twin/higher multiple pregnancies. I'd suggest extreme caution in such situations. I can't imagine any of us may want to suggest an intervention with the potential to jeopardize the fetus's/fetuses' length of stay in mother's uterus.

Initially, this started with a discussion who was leaking a lot of colostrum and also at risk for preterm birth. (I think someone mentioned there had been been cervical change.) Makes sense to "catch" some colostrum to store if possible, but this is different than actual expression and inducing let-down.

So, I'm calling for clarification of terms and situations. Thanks.

Karen