From:
Louis et Carole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:02:13 -0500
Hi to the Tassie from an ex Brisbanite living in Montreal.  I have been
working a lot lately with mums relactating, some only a week or two off the
breast others 10 months away from the breast.  The usual "tricks" you have
tried like the bath, having the baby partially fed and sleepy before trying,
lots of skin to skin contact, bottle feed at the breast, then finger feed at
the breast, some babies are willing to finger feed and the mum can slip the
nipple into the mouth at the same time.  Most often if a mum can get an
adequate milk supply most babies will get back to the breast but it takes
time and patience.  Has she tried Domperidone?  There are many adoptive mums
breastfeeding there babies who are not newborns when they adopt them.  Let
her know she is not alone in doing what she is doing and it is worth.
Spending many hours in the bath over the next few weeks may help with baby
and keep cool at the same time.  One of my mums I followed used the
"breastbottle" that bottle that is sort of shaped that way.  That was an 11
month old who hadn't nursed since she was 3 weeks she now feeds once a day
at mums breast some times twice.  Good luck.
Carole Dobrich RN IBCLC
Aussie living in Canada and mum of 4 boys