From:
Jennifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 14:10:11 -0500
Jessica - you asked for anecdoatal evidence of BF problems & speech delays,
so here's mine:

I have 3 children, the oldest was a breeze to nurse, she never needed help
and spoke early, often and clearly (now too often LOL).  My middle, a boy,
was a 28 weeker and while he needed more assistance in breastfeeding, never
needed to be taught to suckle - he just got it once he "woke up". His speech
is wonderful, better than the "norm" for his age. My youngest was a
nightmare to teach to nurse - he was sleepy, needed to be syringe fed the
1st few days to supplement because he would not suckle at all.  Just feel
asleep at the breast after trying unsuccesfully.  I fought with him for 2+
weeks to teach him and was thankful I knew the tricks and already coslept to
make it easier and had a supportive husband.  Once he finally got it he was
fine and is still nursing at 19 months and I'm not sure he'll ever stop :).
But - he didn't lose his toungue thrust reflex until 11 months, didn't learn
to drink from a sippy cup until 15 months, still can't use one if the valve
is in and just learned how to drink from a straw.  His speech is delayed and
he may to see a speech therapist but they keep telling me "he's the baby -
they talk later, or, oh he's just a boy they don't talk as much.

So just my experience, but yes breastfeeding problems were the 1st sign of
oral-speech issues.

Jennifer Cassini, LLLL and mother to 3