From:
Lisa Updike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 22:22:04 -0400
I am so far behind in my reading and have not posted in so long, I will
reintroduce myself.  I'm Lisa Updike, a childbirth educator and lactation
consultant in Roanoke, VA.
I just read about the Sears situation and wanted to add that a similar
climate exists here.  A local fitness club, to which I belong, has told women
they may not nurse their children in - get this - the nursery!  This is an
all women's gym!  Anyway, the local paper picked up on it and we did get a
positive column written by one of the reporters who did BF her son.  It seems
they told women the could not BF there because other children would see and
be disturbed and that parents should be allowed to teach "that" to their own
children when they feel it is appropriate.  Since all the hoopla occurred,
they have put up a curtain in the nursery to BF behind.

Yes, several people have written to complain of the policy.  The paper has
printed one letter already and will be printing mine soon.

On another note, can you please repeat how I may get a LACTNET T-shirt?  I
have deleted all my prior posts.

Thanks,

Lisa