From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 19:26:13 -0400
Re:
>Date:    Sun, 8 Oct 2000 01:11:07 -0400
>From:    Mary Jozwiak IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Reaction to Ejection Reflex, Chemical or Psychological?

>I am working with a woman who has had a bizarre reaction to her
ejection
>reflex while nursing both of her children. About 5 seconds after the
>child goes to breast she becomes anxious, then the feeling progresses
to what
>she describes as "almost anger" and says she often feels like she wants
>run.

I seem to remember seeing in the archives something about a mother who
felt sort of sick and repulsed when BF. At one time, I felt this when BF
twins together, although I was o.k. when I BF them alone. I don't know
if it is the situation of nursing two (mothers tandem nursing or nursing
through pregnancy report a similar angsty feeling) or a greater surge of
oxytocin than usual, but it was distressing until I found the solution
of BF each individually or changing position. Something about them
pulling the nipples out in different directions made me upset. Since
this mom's feelings go away into the feeding, would expressing first
help? Or is it the sensation of the latch that is causing the feeling?
Would another position help?
I'm thinking there's maybe something else going on. Abuse in the distant
past can be somatized even without being manifested as depression.
Jo-Anne