From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 03:41:38 +0000
sorry i'm a couple days behind. you wrote "Parents frequenly ask me, a
hospital-based LC, which type of "formula" is best to use.  Would it be too
evil, to say "It is like the choice between P**SI or C**E, whatever you have
more of or what is best tolerated by the baby."?
i get this question too. the docs at my hospital usually choose whatever
formula the WIC program (USA food supplement program) is using that year. If
the moms are doing any bf, they all choose the WIC soy formula. I think it
is a good idea to refer parents to the FDA website if they have internet
access. Or you could visit the site and copy the info as a handout. Someone
just recently posted the site so it should be in the archives (I have it at
work). I think it was Marsha Walker. The site has frequently asked questions
about formula (FAQs) which addresses are 'name-brand' formula better than
store brand etc. Also addreses recalls etc. It was informative.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA