From:
Linda Rosetti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 20:38:52 -0400
Dear lactnetters,
A friend who has asked me to help her with a client she is seeing.
The mother had to have a mastectomy a few years ago.  She is pregnant and
will be having a repeat CS in 2 weeks.  A lump has been found on the side
that had a mastectomy.  Her Dr. will be giving her radiation therapy,
starting 2 weeks after delivery.  Understandably this is a very sad story but
the mother would like to try and nurse at least for a while on the unaffected
side.  Our question is: will lactating on the one side affect the remaining
tissue and cause any problems with the radiation therapy?  If she is nursing
on the unaffected side is there any chance she could nurse during or after
the therapy.  If she pumped during the time she recieves therapy could she go
back to nursing?  Say some prayers for this poor woman.:(

Linda Rosetti RN, IBCLC
CLarkston, Wa.