From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 08:49:35 EDT
Hi Everybody:
   I am responding to a post where the postee was talking about her doctor's
office setting up a pump rental station.
   This runs head on into an ethical dilemma. There are two pieces of
legislation named after a legislator from California (a Mr. Stark) that say,
among other things, that a healthcare provider can provide either service or
durable equipment, but not both. For those of us who make money as both LCs
and pump rental stations, we are impaled on the horns of this situation.
Doctors can't own the laboratories or x-ray facilities  or durable medical
equipment stores where they send their patients; so LCs can't rent pumps to
their clients. Either we give service for free, or give pumps for free, but we
can't do both. This is a professional challenge for us. What are some good
ways that we can ethically manage this situation? Warmly, Nikki