From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2014 13:00:18 +0300
What a dilemma this is.  I visit so many parents in the days and weeks after
birth and time and time again hear their concerns that the baby is calm and
quiet between feeds when bed-sharing but protests vociferously when placed
back in his cot.  Of course the baby feels more secure and loved in his
parents` bed.
So when we hear all the pundits of doom condemning bed-sharing and we as
responsible consultants are asked for advice on this, what do we say.
I must confess that if I am working with parents whom I know don`t take
drugs, smoke or take a bottle of vodka to bed with them, I am more inclined
to support bed-sharing. Obviously we have to remind them to make sure the
baby is not lying on the edge of the bed, that pillows cannot fall on him or
a heavy quilt overheat him.
Just giving that baby warmth and security in those first weeks will ease the
separation afterwards when he can enjoy more the space and toys in his own
cot.
it is nevertheless a dilemma.
Wendy Blumfield
NCT UK trained Tutor prenatal teacher/breastfeeding counsellor
Former president, Israel Childbirth Education Centre