Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 12:45:44 EDT
Dear Friends:
        Last night, in the breastfeeding class of a childbirth preparation
series, we were talking about options. I had presented the WHO
recommendations for infant feeding (1-milk directly from mother, 2-milk
expressed from mother, 3- donor milk, and lastly breastmilk substitutes.)
The question came up "why is mother's milk expressed in a bottle 2nd on the
list?" This was from a mother who will be returning to her job when her baby
is 4 months old, and is already guilty and sad about that.
        I held the model baby to my breast and said "Because there is no
substitute of equivalent value to this (baby at mom's breast)." Then we
discussed some about breastfeeding being more than merely feeding the infant.
This was an uncomfortable situation. This mother wanted to hear that EBM via
bottle was as good as breastfeeding; I could not validate that perception,
despite my anguish at her discomfort, and my validation that she is doing the
best that she can do.
        As long as we take care of people's feelings and tell them that what
they are doing is just as good as the real thing, there will never be change
in society. We need lots of upset mothers and families to make a critical
mass for change so that mothers don't have to leave their babies to work.
While EBM in a bottle is an excellent option for mothers who must leave their
babies, it is not the best thing for infants. When we as a society take that
seriously, change will occur.
        There have been similar situations in classes where a nurse learns
about the hazards of breastmilk substitutes, the risks of bottles, and the
disadvantages of glucose water for early feeds. "What is best to give
babies?" is the question. "What is the best formula to give?" The answer is
"None of the above. Hospitals can keep 100 ounces of frozen donor milk on
hand, to give to newborns who must be supplemented." Why are we accepting
anything less than the best for our babies? Why are our present choices not
good enough when we have the evidence supporting the best choices and the
technology to provide it?
        Warmly, Nikki Lee