From:
Sperling Stephanie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 2009 21:23:32 -0600
The last post got me sentimental. I too, feel for women who have tried so hard to breastfeed successfully and at some point gave up and resorted to pumping. For those, and for mothers who must work and bring home their milk, we are all thankful for quality pumps. The best pump of all though are the ones that will not only take your milk, but give back as well. When they look at you over your breast with their loving eyes, when they dig their little fingers in, or make that rapid breathing sigh sound when relief has come to belly and heart, or a personal favorite of mine "I love your boobies". To those of us who know so well that breastfeeding is not a selfless act, but one we come to love and cherish, we can hardly understand the desire for a designer pump in lieu of a beautiful baby to hold and feed. As professionals however, we inform  and enlighten to the best of our ability and then support the goals we may never understand. It is after all not our choice to make. Maybe this economy will have an positive effect on breastfeeding, not only in that some mothers will be home, but some will realize that pumps are much more expensive than breastfeeding. These thoughts are heartfelt as I plan a weaning date for my soon to be five year old and likely last child.  Am I the only mother who has ever secretly wished that I could nurse my grandchildren someday? I'm not sure of it, but I think Naomi in the Bible did.  When I helped a woman feed her baby for the first time this week, she took hold of my arm and said "Stephanie, I must tell you this, breastfeeding is the most important thing to me" She didn't see it, but a tear came to my eyes. Thank you to my dear four children that not only took my milk, but gave more back to my heart and soul.
Stephanie Sperling RN IBCLC mother of four
Brandon Florida