From:
Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 22:50:50 -0700
Just as all of a community benefits when all mothers breastfeed (less
illess, potentially higher IQ, etc) So all of a community benefits when all
members have health care and social benefits such as maternity leave. There
has been some very interesting work easily available demonstrating that the
flatter the socioeconomic gradient the better ALL of the members of the
community do in terms of life span and wellness. Pulling the lower end up
raises the upper end. I keep this prominently in my mind when we pay our
1/3 (like Jack :). SO you want to increase the life span and wellness of
the top quartile of the population? provide better benefits to the lowest
quartile...and of course support breastfeeding and milk banks
Rhoda Taylor, B.A., IBCLC
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada