From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 08:45:31 PDT
Lactnuts,
What is the current practice, esp. in USA hospitals, of treatment for
jaundice.?
Today pedi admitted a baby for bili 17 on day 6, wt loss 1 oz under birthwt
(7#0 b.w. / 6#15 today), and feeding well now. He is on phototherapy lites;
why not home phototherapy? Had some trouble over w/e with engorgement and
not feeding enough, baby had voided 6-7 times, but no stool in 1.5 days. Mom
had called me over w/e (over the phone) she was severely engorged and we got
the milk flowing (cold, ibuprofen, elevate breasts by lying on back, reverse
pressure softening, and regular expressing of 2 to 3 oz), baby eating (I
recommended about 2-2.5 oz q 2-3 hrs if doesn't latch and nurse well), and
stooling. When I asked, the mom had said baby looked jaundice to the tummy
area so I had her call the pedi, who wanted to see them Monday morning. I
also recommended undressing and indirect sunlite exposure for the jaundice.
By the evening, baby had stooled large, and mom reported jaundice looked
less. I had worked with her in hospital and they were bf well, so the
trouble started with engorgement. IMO this baby does not need
hospitalization, unless there is something more I don't know. What do ya'll
do everywhere else? So far no IVs for the kid, hope he doesn't get that.

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA