From:
Denise Punger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 18:34:06 PDT
I returned to work when my first son was 12 weeks old. I worked about 10-11
hour shifts. I nursed just before and right after work. I pumped twice a day
until he was 6mo. After that I pumped about 10-12 ounces until about 11mo.
in one quick pumping session. I stopped pumping when I had enough stored up
to get through 12 months. I continued nursing at home after that while he
drank cows milk, juice and water during my absence. Shortly after that I was
pregnant again. The nursing continued. When my second son was 12 weeks old I
went back to work and followed the same pumping schedule. As Barbara Phipps
said "Days at home were marathon nursing schedules" both boys were
constantly nursing. My first day back at work after my second baby I pumped
42 ounces in 2 fifteen minute pump breaks. It took much longer to figure out
where to put all that milk. I realize I am very fortunate when it comes to
pumping and storing. It did take me two weeks to get use to the pump,
initially.

As far as storage, I usually would use milk up to 3 days in refrigerator
without hesitation. After that I would smell it. Any smell I tossed the
milk. After a 4 day weekend the babysitter found 12 ounces of milk pushed to
the back of her refrigerator. It didn't smell and we used it that day.
Neither boy was ever sick from any of the milk.

Denise Punger MD
Family Medicine ,Florida
still marathon nursing at 14 and 36 months