Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2009 08:44:58 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (52 lines)
Has anyone investigated baby's suck-coordination?  Any possibility of any abnormalities of palate etc?  Flow rates in bottles are different with different formulae and breast milk, different with shape and materials of nipples, number and size of the holes in the bottle.  It sounds to me like and in-depth analysis of the situation is in order before we throw out the breastfeeding!  Does the baby have a subtle t-t?  Gagging with a faster flow can initiate vomiting.  I just don't believe as many babies are allergic to foods that mother has consumed throughout her life and pregnancy as we say.  And I am particularly offended that elemental formulas are considered better than mother's milk by pediatric allergists and mothers are told that they are hurting their babies by selfishly choosing to breastfeed!

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Linda Hill
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 5:23 PM
Subject: baby throwing up breast milk but not formula

Ok, so this mom is stumping me.

No red flags against milk production, but milk not in yet on day 3 and baby lost > 10%, so pumping and supplementing started.  At 2 wk visit, weight is above birth weight.  
Mom has been supplementing still, reports supply still not up to par.  Avg.
~2oz.  Baby drinking ~3oz.  

Of interest...... baby throws up (projectile) with breast milk in a bottle but not with formula in a bottle.
Baby does not usually throw up at the breast, but has a couple of times.
(projectile)
I had them try some slower flowing bottles (sometimes threw up, some times didnt), made sure not a lipase thing...... mom basically eating chicken pot pies for now, as pretty bland. (ckn, carrots, celery, potatoe)  Not drinking milk.

Just seems so atypical.
I would think the projectile vomiting to be more related to flow rate or crying prior to eating (...) If it was a dairy thing, then baby would vomit with the milk based formula he is getting.
I would expect something mom eating to affect him with a rash, or fussiness, not projectile vomiting then happy as a lark.  

Mom is ready to just formula feed, since the baby doesnt have any problems with that.  I have her keeping a food diary for now and encouraged her to give the "breastfeeding" more of a chance, since he only vomited a couple times at the breast.  (and if he needs to be supplemented, to pump, but offer formula right now)

What do you recommend?  Do they do allergy testing on the baby at such an early age?  I don't know enough about formula to know what is in it that is also in the breastmilk.  (like gluten, soy.....) I havent spent much time with this mom.  (mostly just phone calls)  

What would you do???????????

Linda Hill
Austin, Tx

PS.  LOVED Gold '09!!!!!!

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2