From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2009 08:44:58 -0500
Has anyone investigated baby's suck-coordination?  Any possibility of any abnormalities of palate etc?  Flow rates in bottles are different with different formulae and breast milk, different with shape and materials of nipples, number and size of the holes in the bottle.  It sounds to me like and in-depth analysis of the situation is in order before we throw out the breastfeeding!  Does the baby have a subtle t-t?  Gagging with a faster flow can initiate vomiting.  I just don't believe as many babies are allergic to foods that mother has consumed throughout her life and pregnancy as we say.  And I am particularly offended that elemental formulas are considered better than mother's milk by pediatric allergists and mothers are told that they are hurting their babies by selfishly choosing to breastfeed!