From:
Chen Chao-Huei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 13:21:05 +0800
Dear Caren and Judy:

I was informed by the chief of our OBS-GYN department last week that many
mothers won't come to our hospital for the next pregnancy because they are
asked to breastfeed the babies during the night. So, she asked me to tell
our nurses not to ask the mothers to breastfeed at night.

One of our problems is that we have no policy of room-in. When the mother
stays in the sigle room,the baby can stay with her for the whole 24 hours a
day. But if the mother stays in a double room, then she has to have the
permission from the other women stays in the same room for the room in. In
Taiwan, there is an old saying that "The first month after delivery is very
important for the health of the women when they become old". So, many women
are reluctant to take care of the babies by themself, because in that case
they will have no time to rest. Any many of them afraid the crying of the
baby of the other mother will interfere their sleep. So, there are very few
room-in in a double room.

Taiwan now is a bottle-feeding culture same as US. And I agree with the idea
of Judy that coalition is important to promote breastfeeding in such
society. Education is also another important thing. I wrote an education
sheet about the benifit of breastfeeding to both mothers and infants, and
the importance of colostrum, demand feeding and room in. I asked the chief
of OBS-GYN to give it to all the pregnant women in the prenatal OPD. Then
they can choose what kind of feeding method they want, and weather or not
they want to room-in.  But, that is not enough.I have to find more groups
and let them know the relationship of breastfeeding and their work. I will
let you informed about the progress.

Thanks for Lactnet that give so many inspiring ideas.

Chao-Huei Chen, M.D. < [log in to unmask]>
Department of Pediatrics,Taichung Veterans General Hospital
160,sec 3, Chung Kang Rd,Taichung 407, Taiwan,Fax 886 4 3591498