From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 19:24:14 +0100
>She has even said that breastfeeding isn't in
her job description and she isn't going to help moms<

I am not sure about an immediate reply, but surely this is open to checking.
Either supporting women who are initiating breastfeeding *is* in her job
description, or it isn't.  If it isn't, then women might get confused, so
there should be a clear referral pathway.  Maybe you could suggest that
there is a card given to women or a poster on the ward, telling them who
they can and cannot ask (because its not in their job description) for
breastfeeding support.  (If I were being flip, I would suggest that she
could wear a badge which says 'don't ask me about breastfeeding').

I can think of several interesting possiblities, one of which is that there
actually is *no one* whose job description includes breastfeeding support.
In which case, surely there is somewhere in the hospital admin which should
address the issue and decide who is responsible, who will be audited and to
whom complaints and compliments go.

I know that I have heard the same thing in hospitals I have visited.  I am
always intrigued by the idea that this could be open to the choice of
individual staff.  Imagine if a staff member said 'well, fire procedure is
not in my job description, I am not going to participate in fire drills and
if there is a fire, I won't help anyone on the wards'.

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, UK