Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2017 09:09:13 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
Take deep, cleansing breaths -- there's an endless supply of this kind of click-bait on the topic of breastfeeding.  The wild-eyed editor of Catalina Magazine was brought onto Fox News to play the role of the crazy feminist, a straw person set up to be knocked down by the sputtering commentator -- neither the outlet nor the interview is going to be taken that seriously.  You can spend energy trying to communicate with her, but she is not likely to strike her forehead and suddenly realize that she was all wrong.

I'm more interested in seeing the journal article. Maybe it points out that breastfeeding really is also a learned behavior.   These are very serious topics -- but this video clip is not trying to advance the discussion in any productive way.

We do need to acknowledge that inconvenient babies, and breastfeeding as the ordinary way to feed them,  have become a more difficult fit with the modern world, where women have worked hard to be able to take on many different roles.   Formula marketing very cleverly positions the product as the understanding friend in these struggles, making her life easier.  So that casts the breastfeeding supporter in the role of the hectoring schoolmarm.  We have to convey that we understand the struggle, and are ready to help her find ways to make breastfeeding work in her life.

My patented phrase is that "we do natural things under very unnatural circumstances"  -- there isn't a village to take care of and teach the new mother.  Many ordinary human activities that have become more challenging in the modern Western world -- cooking real food, getting enough exercise, etc.  

People get angry when they feel that they are being told to breastfeed, when they don't see how it can work in their lives.

Margaret Wills, IBCLC Maryland, USA 

> Date:    Sun, 30 Apr 2017 00:27:44 +0000
> From:    Rebecca DeYoung-Daniels <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: "DON'T" Call Breastfeeding Natural?
> 
> If you have hypertension, I suggest that you not watch the clip below.  Interestingly, when I tried to access the Catalina Magazine website for which the interviewee is the editor, it claims that a new site is coming.  I hope she was bombarded and forced to take down her website temporarily.
> 
> 
> Does anyone have the full article from the Journal of Pediatrics?  It is called, "Study:  Describing Breastfeeding as 'Natural' is Unethical Because It Reinforces Gender Roles" and was authored by Martucci J and Barnhill A.  I have only been able to access summaries and would like to view the original article if you are able to share it.
> 
> 
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP-lpEOVcmY
> 
> 
> Rebecca DeYoung-Daniels, MBA, RD, LD
> Adjunct Instructor
> Kansas State University
> Department of Hospitality Management
> 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2