From:
Lisa Marasco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2011 08:50:31 -0700
I just want to state that I have been doing extensive research on Moringa
because of recent "rumors" that it might not be safe. It is a *vegetable* in
the Philippines and widely known there as a galactogogue. Because of its
highly nutritious qualities, it is also dried and put into capsules for a
supplement, or made into tea. If you were to go to the Philippines and
publicly suggest that moringa is dangerous, you would be laughed at. It is
almost tantamount to coming to the U.S. and suggesting that spinach is
dangerous. (BTW, I just found an article about how a high-iron diet could
lead to increased risk of Parkinson's Disease, naming spinach as one
possible source)

And there *is* evidence of its efficacy as a galactogogue. Multiple studies
*have* been done in the Philippines, including one during the last month of
pregnancy. They were not published in western journals so they are not easy
to find, and not all are peer-reviewed. But they *do* exist and support the
common usage for this purpose.

The most common stated concern is of abortifacient properties. This is
absolutely true of the root, which is not commonly eaten. There are two
animal studies of the leaves suggestive of this also. 1) They are done in a
different country where different varieties grow than the Filipino one that
is available here, which includes Go-Lacta. 2) I calculated the dosage used
in the studies and it was equivalent of a heap of capsules, more than anyone
would ever take.  Most importantly, don't we think that the very people who
eat this vegetable every day would have noticed this?

I understand that most people have little knowledge of how to evaluate
plants and herbs. If you want such information, the best source is the one
that has expertise in plants and herbs, and preferably one who is actually
familiar with the plant in question.

~Lisa Marasco, MA, IBCLC