From:
"(Nancy Kelly)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 1995 15:33:13 -0500
Beth,
You did not say what the mom is supplementing with.  If it is a formula, then
your idea of spreading out the supplement would help, since formula is harder
and longer to digest.  You also suggested the smaller tubing; this will make
the baby work harder for the supplement, stimulating supply by better
suckling.  I used the SNS for 7 1/2 months with my second child.  I reduced
supplement by 1 oz every few days, starting with the earliest feedings (i.e.
morning feedings were first without SNS).  I would suggest spreading the SNS
usage out over 6 feedings with the smaller tube, and then see what happens
over the next week or so.  After that, maybe you could try reducing the
ounces at a particular feeding.  Keep a watch on the baby and make sure baby
remains happy, healthy, and gaining.   Sometimes it is difficult to wean from
the SNS, and although it is designed for babies to self-wean, sometimes we
need to help the process along.  Please let me know how things are going, and
if you need any more suggestions.

Nancy Kelly
Coatesville, PA