From:
Lee Galasso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2006 17:40:20 -0400
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 20:08:01 EDT, Nikki Lee [log in to unmask] wrote about:
more thoughts about rape.

"Having been through rape twice, I must confess that the mother's use of the
term 'nipple rape' didn't bring up any feelings from my past. I accepted her
phrase, and understood it, and moved to validate, and to comfort.  I am
sorry that so many of us on this wonderful list have survived such an event.
And I am happy that we are free to react and to support, validate and listen
to each other. Telling the story is part of the healing. I treasure
everyone's story....Praying that our children are free from assault...."

Dear LACTNETTERS - It is becoming more and more apparent that this topic has
hit a raw nerve.  It reminds me of a similar occurrence at an ILCA
conference several years ago.  The then-president touched on this at a
general session; she is on LACTNET and may recall the response:  An
overwhelming number of registrants were very upset; some started crying and
left the auditorium to be found later sobbing in the ladies room.  An
impromptu meeting was called for later in the day, with a skilled therapist
to help any participants who felt the need for further discussion.  I, as
well as many others, attended and found it extremely helpful; talking IS
part of the therapy and helps immensely.  Some revealed very deep wounds for
having been victims or having someone in their family who was a victim; the
guilt everyone carried was immense (they felt ashamed and that they should
have been able to prevent the occurrence).  I guess I am writing because I
had an experience of being touched inappropriately as a child and person in
my family experienced the same thing.  Children are not free from assault
and warning them does not always prevent incidents from occurring.  Please
be vigilant/understanding with your families, friends, and clients; it can
happen to any of us.  The wounds are always there; the tears are welling up
as I write; I guess I needed to open up once again to my 2000+ friends.

Respectfully,

Lee Galasso