From:
Paul Zimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 09:35:17 -0600
Thanks to a community-minded soul here on Lactnet, I have been politely
informed that my recent post could have been read as a "flame" of Drs.
Dettwyler and Stuart-Macadam.  I did not in any way desire to demean the
credentials or good intentions of these two professionals.  I believe it is
important to discuss controversial issues among otherwise well-informed
people.  My recent posts were intended to provide balance for posts that
focused on the dangers of excessive iron intake from, in my opinion, a
biased
viewpoint.  I am sure we all have the same reaction when someone suggests
vitamin D or iron supplementation of exclusively breastfed infants based on
limited information in the face of a larger body of breastfeeding-friendly
information.

Finally, as I said in the previous post, I want to thank Drs. Dettwyler and
Stuart-Macadam for their discussions of this topic and I hope everyone on
the list has learned a little more about iron nutriture in the process.

Paul Zimmer, Ph.D.