Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 15:24:01 EST
Hi all,

Just wanted to let everyone know Joshua Mandela Poinsett is now one years old.
Still nursing up a storm.

When Josh was a "sling baby" (less than 9 months), I took him to several
conferences (mainly Pediatric ones).  Most people were very supportive, even
encouraging me to return to the conference room when I had taken him out
because he was fussy or crying.  Last fall, when I was a presenter at a
special needs conference, I was speaking up front when he was being cared for
in the back of the room.

Now that he is far more rambunctious (running, wanting every one to read a
book to him, trying to goose people in his seats, very verbal) I will probably
take him to conferences if I have someone who can babysit him in a nearby
room.

I know that providing child care at a conference can be a bit of a logistical
nightmare and expensive (although the American Academy of Pediatrics does this
for all of the larger meetings), I think this is something that would be
helpful for all.

Pierrette Mimi Poinsett MD FAAP
Modesto CA