From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 23:47:51 -0800
Hi All,
Sorry I can't remeber who - Heather? - had a good thought about the diaper
the baby is wearing.  IF the baby is in cloth diapers, then I'd say some
research is in order to find out what these crystals are.  If the baby is in
disposable's, however, they are well known for causing fright in young moms
in my neck of the woods!  I have recieved numerous calls like this - baby
has great output but there are crystal-things in her/his diaper...  The gel
in disposable diapers does not neccessarily have to wait to come through a
small tear in the lining.  This stuff comes through the lining, especially
if the baby has peed a LOT and is not changed as often as a baby in cloth
diapers would be.  THe bad thing about this gell stuff is that, I read (in
Mothering???) that it is the same chemical that caused toxic shock in women
who used tampons, years ago.  Gotta wonder what we are putting on our babies
and what we are possibly doing to their reproductive parts just by trying to
keep them dry.
Norma, you said this baby is having upwards of 9 soaking wet diapers in 24
hrs.  If baby is in disposables, suggest that mom either change to cloth for
a few days (if possible) or simply change the baby more frequently and see
if that ends the problem.  Also, the crystals are like little gel balls -
they stick to the skin and are hard to wipe off.  A tub rinse is almost
always needed to get it all off.

Jay
Whose #2 son was so allergic to the darn things he'd break out in a blistery
rash within  minutes of having one put on him...poor baby bottom... :(
Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, California, West Coast, USA
"No Miracles performed here, just a lot of love and hard work."