From:
Sue Bedard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2014 10:01:59 -0400
You make a great point-change is hard
What we found here at our hospital that worked was a "bridge" script
It is sort of a compromise of words that allowed the nurses to become more  comfortable with on request feeding and teach the mothers that feeding is the priority.
We started out by telling the nurses they are NOT responsible to make the baby eat
They are responsible for keeping mothers and babies together and empowering mothers to respond to this specific baby
it goes something like this-and is for the first couple of days of life while they are in the hospital
Feed First - if your baby is starting to wake up - stop and feed
The only reason your baby is waking up is to be fed
Feed often - the baby decides when he is hungry or thristy
Feed until content - drowsy
Snacking - frequent brief feedings are normal
Offer to feed your baby every 2-3 hours - place skin to skin - it is like setting the table
By 4 hours - change their diaper and awake your baby up - call the nurse if you are concerned
Often babies like to sleep all day and party all night
Don't be surprised that your baby is more awake after 10 pm

Sue Be
Utah