From:
Melissa Vickers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 09:41:09 -0400
Hi, all

Lying awake at 4:30 am with a pounding headache can either provide a
creative burst of energy, or deprive you of needed sleep.... In any case,
the following started brewing in my aching head. (Apologies to New Mom
Magazine's article "Breastfeed or Bust.")

EAT HEALTHY OR BUST A GUT TRYING
One veteran eater tells you all you really need to know to weigh whether
eating healthy is the best choice for you and your belly:

It's a Kodak moment. Your family is standing in line at the all-you-can-eat
pig out bar, drooling at the thought of the treats that lie ahead. And
somewhere in the back of your subconscience comes the voice from your
nutritionist: "What are YOU going to eat here?"

Uh-oh. Time for the real challenge: eating healthy. Can you really eat
healthy when those around you are pouring on the gravy on those ribs and
chocolate sauce on that sundae?

For me the answer was yes. I wanted to do the whole foods bit from the
veggie soup to the soybeans. And I was lucky. They ran out of chocolate
sauce just before I got there.

What I never really realized beforehand, but you should: You're completely
on your own when you eat healthy. Your mom can't do it for you. Neither can
your husband. Nor your nutritionist. It's a huge commitment. So it helps to
know all you can before you try it. It also helps to set aside some of the
myths that surround eating healthy. That's what follows here. Read on.

Myth #1: Everybody should eat healthy.

Truth is, there are some folks on death's door who just shouldn't be
bothered with trying to eat healthy. And there are countless others who
shouldn't force it simply because is isn't working out.

Take Petunia Porker, who gave eating healthy a try for 2 meals 10 years ago.
"I was very nervous and nearly starved to death. Finally I switched to
eating candy bars." Petunia's been happy ever since, with the added bonus of
getting to buy a new wardrobe every 6 months.

And eating healthy can be dangerous. Cutting all those vegetables and
cooking on the stove can lead to cuts and burns.

Bottom line: Eating healthy is tough. In the early days you will have to
lock up every piece of chocolate in your house and force yourself to go
through the candy-free aisles in the grocery store. So if you REALLY don't
want to eat healthy, don't force yourself out of guilt or pressure.

Myth #2. You won't get sick.
Yes, there are studies showing that eating healthy cuts your risk of heart
attack, stroke, cancer, etc., but what do they know?

In a study of 50 humans who ate healthy and 50 folks who didn't, researchers
from the "When In Doubt, Make It Up" Tabloid Weekly found that 30% of the
healthy eaters got sick at least once, 89% didn't. 35% of the unhealthy
eaters got sick at least once, 20% didn't. (Numbers don't add up to 100%
because some of the participants died before the end of the year long data
collection period.)

Myth #3. Eating healthy is instinctive.
For dogs and cows, maybe, but not humans. We were put on this earth to eat
chocolate. Learning to eat healthy is a long and difficult process plagued
with cravings and stomach rumblings.

Myth #4. You'll lose weight faster.
Only if you lay off those candy cravings that hit when you least expect
them, like morning, noon, and night.

Myth #5. Eating healthy's more convenient.
Yeah. Right.

Bottom line: Eating healthy is anything but convenient.

Yes, it is healthy. Yes, it can be filling. But the trick is to do it only
if you really want to. What really matters is that you give yourself your
love, not vegetables.
*****
Have a lovely day!

Melissa Vickers, IBCLC (I Be a Chocolate Loving Consultant!)