From:
Debby Menders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 22:16:14 EST
We have a 24week preterm infant in our NICU.  The baby is 72 days old and had
been progressing well.  The Mother has had great difficulty in keeping her
milk supply and for weeks she has only been able to get 3 to 5cc per pumping.
She has tried the hospital grade pump...(2 different brands)  and very
diligent about pumping schedule.  She has begged and pleaded for Rx for Reglan
and has not been able to get any Physician to prescribe it for her.  The
Physicians say  "babies
do fine on formula".  I have been forbidden (by management) to tell her about
herbal remedies.  She does lots of skin to skin with baby and baby even
latches and nurses for short periods of time.  She wants to continue and her
goal is to get the baby nursing from the breast in hopes that her milk supply
will increase.  She has more success with hand expression than any pump.
        Now....the baby has developed sepsis.  The breastmilk was cultured and grew
heavy growth of entero bacter.  Mom said she is very careful with handwashing
and expressing into sterile containers.  There is always the possibility the
milk was contaminated in the hospital.  Mom is devastated!  This was the one
thing she could do for her baby.  Any great  thoughts or ideas?

Debby Menders RNC