From:
Sue A Svehla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:48:25 -0400
>I am sick of this system. I am sick of the screw ups, and the careful<
>warnings, and the lack of belief in the system of birth and breastfeeding<
>and mothering, and the lack of knowledge, and those professionals  who<
>have  authority  and power to help but who never bother to learn about<
>evidence relating to breastfeeding management... and who ultimately<
>contribute to a score of lifelong psychological wounds that these mothers<
>feel as a result of their inability to reach their own bf goal.<

>What is the excuse?<

Kathleen,
I don't respond often to posts on Lactnet but felt compelled to respond to
yours. I know so very well what you mean. I too have felt the frustration
you describe. However, long ago, I learned that it is NOT the quantity of
assistance that we provide but the quality. I realize I can't make the
world entirely breastfeeding friendly as much as I would like to, but what
I can do is be sure that each mother baby pair that I work with, gets the
best care that I can offer. If we all keep chipping away little by little
then we will as a whole make a difference. So when the system gets you
down, focus on the good you have done, the changes you have made. You HAVE
made a difference in the lives of mothers and babies. One mother and baby
at a time. But it still is a good thing!!!

Sue A. Svehla RNC BSN IBCLC
Methodist Hospital
Omaha NE