From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2010 21:11:10 -0500
Dear all:

One problem in the United States is that we are somewhat lawsuit happy.  No lie, there was a four year old who is being sued in New York because she bumped into an older woman with her bike with training wheels and knocked her down.  The woman broke her hip and later died of unrelated causes three months later.  The estate is suing the four year old independently from her parents.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/29/nyregion/29young.html?_r=1

So, while I'm all for figuring out ways of sharing milk, I would think anyone in the United States who is doing so might want to consider setting up a simple but airtight contract on either side of the equation just in case.  And I agree that you don't need legislation for that, but you might need a solid source of what to include in a contract whether you are giving milk or receiving it.

Never underestimate the power of a seemingly good relationship that sours to turn litigious.  The women who partnered up to combine parenting education with ecofriendly retail products where I used to do classes are sinking into a morass of claims and counterclaims that will serve no one well.  The educators who worked there will never see much of the pay they should have received while excuses were made for late payroll.

If you are also working in the US as I am and getting a bit tired of all the extra paperwork to protect yourself from all the possible ways in which someone could take to court, here's a song from Weird Al Yankovic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeXQBHLIPcw

Best regards,

Susan Burger