From:
Nancy Holtzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 21:39:33 -0400
Anyone have any information on this topical ointment, generic is ammonium
lactate, trade name is LacHydrin lotion?  I checked '97 Hales, and also
tried several general web-searches (which I am usually quite good at) but
couldn't even find general information (PDR type) on this cream.  I doubt
it would be contraindicated for BF as it is simply a moisturizer for
severly dry skin,  but the mom who wants to use it says a HCP "told her it
is absorbed and stays in the milk for weeks".  I need some information to
get back to this mom who wants to continue using this lotion.  I suppose a
moisurizer is meant to be absorbed into the skin surface, and perhaps there
is a problem with ammonium?  Or perhaps the HCP is of the mind, as so many
are, that a breastfeeding mom can't take as much as a tylenol for headache,
as it might "get into her milk"...
TIA
NancyH
Nancy Holtzman RN BSN LC