From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:30:25 -0400
On Wednesday, July 31, 2002, at 01:59 AM, Kathy Boggs wrote:

> I think this is an absolutely reasonable plan of attack. Baby should be
> able
> to latch onto a nipple shield, milk transfer may be improved, and
> intake can
> be monitored by test wts.

Okay cool.

mom's got a gram scale at home.   things actually aren't getting
better - i just talked to her.  I haven't been able to go there b/c I've
got two kids, one of whom is sick right now so she's working on it with
someone else.  I might try tomorrow night.

She couldn't get the nipple confused baby on with the shield.  She had
an LC (ibclc) helping.   She had wondered if it was a good idea to begin
with or not - since baby wouldn't go for it, she didn't try again.
mom's exhausted.  Not more than 2 hrs straight sleep since babies came
home 10 days ago.  Milk supply is going down the tubes.  Big baby (not
nipple confused)  was getting 80--90 cc's at the breast each feed (cue
feeding) and is now very fussy at night and through the night and
getting about 20-30.  she just called - the last feedings have been
:18,12,10....26....

mom is taking More Milk Plus and Goat's Rue (awesome stuff
www.motherlove.com) 3x per day.  I recommended increasing per bottle
directions.  Mom is also pumping post feeds since NBC (nipple confused
baby) is still taking most from a bottle, sometimes finger, and they're
working on cup - mom gets discouraged with cup b/c there's spillage and
pumping isn't going that well.

Mom's very open to domperidone....

Mom was instructed by the aforementioned IBCLC to fingerfeed the baby
additional feeds instead of bottle feed additional feeds.  That's
something I've never really understood since I don't think finger feeds
helps avoid nipple confusion anymore than bottle feeding does.  I agree
with Jack and others that fingerfeeding is a great way to calm and
organize a fussy baby prior to attempting the breast and while
attempting latch on (though if suck training isnt' needed, I still like
droppers over anything else).  So anyway,  mom has been attempting
breastfeeds with NCB (nipple confused baby), then following up with
finger or bottle feeds when this doesn't work - usually bottle.

Then pumping post feed to hopefully "empty" the breast, encouraging
production.  She's also been having the 3 yo nurse several times per day.

I'd rather favor this route:
~calm baby using expressed milk from dropper
~attempt a latch directly at the breast
~if it doesn't work, calm baby, attempt latch with nipple shield using
dropper as needed
~if this doesn't work and baby wants her bottle, use bottle to calm then
shielded breast.

if baby gets enough at the feeding, it takes mom off the pumping
hook......

She's ordering domperidone right now.    Hopefully by the time it gets
here she won't need it:)

Also, mom's wondering about the three year old and wether or not it's a
good idea for him to be nursing.    Emotionally, he really needs it.
What are the thoughts on that?

Last night, big baby nursed well, then was fussy almost immediately
afterwards.  After going through this three times (those were the 18,
12, 10 feedings) mom thawed some frozen milk and gave it in a cup.  baby
took 30cc's more.

Anyhoo...how does my plan sound?  Any other thoughts/ideas/theories?

:)
katherine in atl