From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 22:32:32 EST
In a message dated 2/14/1 2:40:54 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Talking to one of the NGO  Outreach Workers recently, the polio Campaign
and

Vit A program both are running into suspicion and in some cases the parents

are refusing as they believe it is making their children sterile. The Iodine

Program in Salt met with the same problem ' it was stopping the people

having children.

How can we educate people like this who are so suspicious of what you are

doing for them? >>

While I certainly believe that micronutrient deficiency is a world-wide
problem of epidemic proportions (w/ AF certainly playing a role), I also
beleive it is wise for people to be suspicious of any campaign which assumes
that the govt knows what is best for the "masses". When govt agencies become
convinced that something is in the best interests of public health, those who
administer such programs are notoriously good at turning a blind eye to
potential repercussions. Personal freedom is often sacrificed in favor of (tha
t word I personally dread) "compliance". I mean no disrespect, but your
comments invalidate the experiences of the people to whom you refer. Who is
to say these have not been their experiences? Genetic expression (something
the human genome project is beginning to address) shows us that not all
people will respond identically to the same nutritional therapy or
supplements. This is why bf matters so much--it is individual-specific, not
just species-specific.
    I am not dismissing the logistical difficulty in treating millions
individually. I am only saying that I personally would not disregard their
observations of their own bodies or their desire for personal freedom, any
more than I would my own.
    Excess doses of vit A are to be avoided in pregnancy and in those soon to
become pregnant. Large doses are toxic in children. If carotenes are used
instead, their absorption is greatly affected by quality of the diet
(including protein) and dependent on adequate amounts of zinc, vit c and vit
e. I am not saying vit A supplementation is a bad thing--I give my children
beta carotene when they are sick. I understand how important it is in
treating (and preventing) measles, AIDS, infections, normal growth, chicken
pox, RSV, pneumonia and night blindness. Excess iodine can suppress the
thyroid. Couldn't this make women effectively infertile? Perhaps Unicef is
taking all of these things (and more I don't know anything about) into
consideration. All I am saying is that there is usually more we don't know
than what we do know when it comes to nutrition and gene expression.
Education works both ways. If we assume "we" are the educators and "they" are
the ones needing educating, what does that say about our willingness to be
wrong when we are wrong?
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA