From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 07:16:04 -0500
I posted some comments on cup feeding a few days ago and said I would give
Sandra Lang's reference when I found it.
" Cup feeding: an alternative method of infant feeding " Lang S, Lawrence C,
Orme R, Archives of Disease. 1994, Vol 71 pp 365-369.
I feel everyone on Lactnet is trying to achieve the same goal  - to increase
breastfeeding.  To proceed with this goal we need to be open minded, listen
to others and try new things and not be closed minded.
Cup feeding has worked beautifully in my practice for both premies and term
babies. It does not replace the SNS or finger feeding, it replaces the
bottle. If done correctly (which is the key word for all our advise) there
should not be a problem. Ruth Lawrence's book has a section on cup feeding
which is dated and not correct. She shows the baby leaning back and the milk
being poured into the baby's mouth. Maybe on the next addition this can be
amended.
Breastfeeding is an art not a science. I love the advise others offer  - some
will work in some circumstances and others will not eliminate the problem.
 Please everyone keep an open mind.