From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:30:35 -0400
Callie:  Synthroid has been discussed on Lactnet before.  You might try
the archives.  Dr. Hale's 1996 edition does have it (under levothyroxine).
Basically, varying amounts of thyroxine have been found to transfer into
human milk, so "if a mother takes thyroid supplements, the infant may need
to be periodically evaluated for thyroid function."  I'm not sure of the
clinical relevance unless the mother's thyroid function tests are not
within the euthyroid range on the supplements.  It would seem that if the
mother's blood tests are in the normal range and her symptoms are under
control, that the baby would be getting levels of thyroxine in the milk
which are comparable to the levels which a euthyroid mother would have in
her milk.  In Lawrence's Breastfeeding: A guide for the Medical
Profession, 1994, page 506, it states "[the thyroid supplement] should be
continued after delivery.  The mother should be permitted to breastfeed
without question."  I would wonder what others do, but I would only check
the baby once, and if normal, would follow mother's thyroid function
tests.  I can't see further monitoring of the baby unless there is a
change in the dosage or in the mother's clinical status.
Hope this helps.  Alicia Dermer, MD, IBCLC, in Central New Jersey, USA.