From:
John/Lisa Papas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 09:33:44 -0700
Hello,

This is just an anecdotal experience with nursing during a high risk of
pre-term labor.

I have six children.  #1 was born at 36 weeks, stayed in NICU for two days,
discharged at days.  Became pregnant with #2 when he was still nursing at 9
months.  I nursed him through that pregnancy, which was very frequent.  I
did dilate early, 4 cent by 24 weeks, and was put on bedrest.  I carried
that pregnancy until our daughter was born at 38 weeks.  Labor was stopped
once, and I was on Brethine to stop contractions.    Because he was a
frequent nurser, and especially at night, I was nursing quite often.   I
found nursing through that pregnancy to be helpful, as I was on bedrest, and
it was an easy way for me to feed, soothe him without getting up.

I did not experience contractions while nursing or afterwards,  but would
have problems if I was up and moving around for any length of time.

Tandem nursed those two, and nursed #2 through pregnancy #3.  Third
pregnancy had a cerclage put in at 17 weeks approx.   Had very little
problems with contractions despite frequent nursing.   I took Brethine as
needed during that pregnancy, and found that again, most of my problems with
contractions were after I had overdone activities during the day. (which was
easy to do with 2 small children at the time!)

Same experience with #4.  Tandem nursed #3 during that pregnancy, but she
nursed less often then #2 had.   Found that infrequent nursing started me
off with mild contractions which would stop if I laid down.   Contractions
would start at the beginning of a nursing session and then subside.

Fast forward, all four children have weaned and are older.  I conceived a
twin pregnancy while having an IUD in.  IUD removed, one baby in tube, one
in uterus.  Miscarried that pregnancy.  Once cycle, then conceived and
miscarried at 11weeks. (no nursing during that pregnancy).  One cycle,
conceived again, and took progesterone supplements for the first 12 weeks,
gave birth to #5 in September 03.   He weaned at 11 months after I became
pregnant with #6.   I had the cerclage put in during both pregnancies with #
5 & #6.    I nursed through the beginning of my pregnancy with #6.   Again,
he was nursing off and on, and had many nursing strikes. The infrequent
nursing again seemed to provoke contractions that would subside when I would
lay down, and would stop a little bit after my milk let down.

Baby #6 was born premature at 33 weeks, no nursing during the latter half of
that pregnancy, (Dr. miscalculated my due date and took cerclage out too
early).

I think my case is interesting, as the three babies that were born most
premature out of my six were the three pregnancies that I was not
breastfeeding!

#1 at 36  weeks & #5 at 37 weeks, ( no breastfeeding at all during those
pregnancies) and #6 at 33 weeks.( no breastfeeding after  about 16 weeks).

The three pregnancies that I continued nursing throughout and then tandem
nursed after the birth, all three of those babies made it until 38 weeks.
Also interesting, those three babies were born approx a week after the
cerclage was taken out.

This is of course anecdotal.  The mother needs to weigh the risks and make
her own decision.  However, I think this is an issue where there is hardly
any information or studies available.   I went with my gut, I didn't feel
that my breastfeeding my older child was contributing to my premature labor.

Another factor in the advantages of breastfeeding during pregnancy, is that
it can actually help the mother rest, she can night nurse and not have to
get up.  My #5 son weaned during my pregnancy with #6 and I wonder if her
premature birth wasn't contributed to by the fact that I was walking the
floor at night with her very fussy, teething brother at the time.  I fought
to keep him nursing and couldn't.   He was 19# by 5 months so very heavy to
boot.  Had I been able to stay in bed and night nurse him, I would have
slept more and been more relaxed.

The emotional factor is important too, the stress of trying to forcibly wean
a small child that isn't ready for it, is very hard on the mother.  That
stress may be enough to stress the pregnancy as well.

Just my thoughts and experiences,

Lisa Papas (retired LLL Leader)