From:
Johanna Berger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:41:17 -0500
I've never liked the "minimum" and "normal" settings on the pumps either.
 It's kind of like saying that a mom is "abnormal" if she can't get it
much past the lowest setting.

I always tell moms that *I* think the pump is labeled incorrectly.  That
it really should say "minimum" and "maximum."  I go on to explain that we
all have different sensitivities and while one person feels comfortable
with the pump on the highest setting, another person might feel
comfortable on the lowest setting.  This is part of my "how to pump"
spiel.  How to set up the pump, how to clean the pump, how to pump with
the pump without doing damage to her nipples.  I always include a little
story suchas, "I saw a mom who thought she could get more milk out if the
pump was on the normal setting and she wound up with cracked nipples due
to the suction being to high for her.  Please start at the lowest setting
and slowly increase until it feels uncomfortable, then put it back to
where it's comfortable."

Johanna Berger, LSW, IBCLC
Bala Cynwyd, PA