From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:03:18 -0600
Ann,
For those who work in hospitals, would you say that the main reasons you
encounter for supplementation are:
overwhelmingly maternal request, prematurity (baby is to be fed but mom is
producing little at the time), Hypoglycemia (often infant of diabetic
mother),  hyperbilirubinemia

Would you say that maternal request is due to?
attempted to latch and he wouldn't / couldn't at that time
 concern over sleepy infant not eating
 concern over baby eating "too much" (too frequently)
 cultural concern over having "no milk" (very common in the Hispanic
population here)
wanting to sleep and let someone else care for baby
encouragement by nurses to "help" mom through a rough patch
 separation due to mom going for tubal ligation or blood patch
 Please feel free to add to my list: want father or sibling or other to have
experience of feeding baby; mom feels she must supplement due to twin birth
(feels she can't manage excl feeding and also most of these are premies not
feeding robustly)

What percentage of babies do you think leave your hospital without being
supplemented? I'm trying to think out of 100 babies average a month, there
are only a handful not supplemented; I had one yesterday. So I am thinking
1-10 percent, would have to give this more thought or review my records.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA