From:
KRISTI R CONROY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2011 11:00:16 -0600
I teach a variety of classes for the hospital, and most of them include SIDS safety.  I always mention Dr. McKenna and his SAFE cosleeping book and we discuss all the ways to make cosleeping dangerous.  I talk alot about how to increase the risk of SIDS - like formula feeding, delivering premature, not receiving prenatal care, sleeping all night (and every night) in recliners or on a couch etc.  I get alot of my info from the American SIDS Institute.  Breastfeeding exclusively and SIDS however, seems to be incredibly rare.  Unfortunately, we don't have great data regarding SIDS incidents.  Some states really don't invesitgate much.  Some states do not do standard autopsys.  So, how many deaths are actually due to suffocation or an overdose of benadryl or even shaken baby syndrome (throwing a baby into the crib can cause enough spinal injury to suppress the system).  Someone tried to convince me once that a baby had even died of SIDS while breastfeeding -- which couldn't be true because SIDS happens during sleep.  I think SIDS is scary for moms and thus is ripe with myths and misunderstanding.

What makes me nuts is after a 3 hour class on safety and how to avoid suffocation risks, moms go home and keep the bumper pads in the cribs!  Grrr.

Kristi

Kristi R. Conroy, BA, IBCLC, RLC
www.passivedescent.com
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant
American Heart Association BLS Instructor
Certified Car Seat Technician
"Supporting babies and the families that love them"